Friday, September 15, 2006

Commence with the taking things for granted.

You know someone's been at a computer and on the I-net way too much when they know too well of this thing called Youtube.com and could talk about the the "celebs" there comprised of every-day people as if they were the neighbours down the street, as well as of the phenomenon of v-clogging (video clip logging). I admit to have been on a YT binge lately- I shudder to see myself and think how pathetic this girl is smirking, giggling or staring blankly at a monitor all night long. Yes! Wholly pathetic.

I was about to say how fascinating it is to see how a video website could bring together a global community that interacts with more than just the written/typed word. But then I thought, it is a bit cheesy to be writing about the wonders of the internet and that it is rather natural for human beings to be inclined to bond and interact by any means available anyway. So, it's really no big deal but deep down you know it's still somewhat...intriguing. Some may beg to differ, but we all very well know that people are entitled to their opinions and blah, blah. And now I've wasted a paragraph writing about taking back an idea. Inherently cheesy; I think that would be considered a newly discovered trait of mine.

I was watching the antics of various YouTubers and observed the very same actions I tend to do in my solitude: quirky faces, random blabberings, nonsensical tongue-twisters, the perpetual self-depreciation and those disclaimers of being a self-proclaimed dork after doing something odd. But that's just me- and a million other souls. See? No. Big. Deal.

However, the thing is that these very same antics of mine and others are shared with these certain "YouTubers" and judging by the thousands of views and subscriptions to their accounts, they've been getting pretty popular, enough to make it on TV. I'd never thought something as random, quirky, or just plain lame would make thousands or even millions of people so hooked onto these personalities. Or perhaps I just never thought that people would be able to interact visually and audibly with so many others around the world in a relatively inexpensive way. Even if the net never existed, and these very YouTubers and the people who seem to enjoy or hate their work were put in the same huge room, I'm sure they'd click just the same somehow. For some reason, I'm being reminded of public school. Ah, that little world inside the world.

Now enough of writing about this stuff that heaps of other people already discuss. Somehow, deep within the grey matter that is my brain, I feel like people are asking me questions in response to my posts, and in most cases it's most certainly myself. Would I be inspired to eventually do my own v-clogging? At the slightest hint of the word "bandwagon", no, I wouldn't and that's pretty much what has been keeping me from doing any video blogging. So many people do it now that it's not as unique anymore. Then again, so is "regular" blogging. So what the heck am I saying? I'm not sure, but it feels like regular blogging is a bit more discreet than v-clogging. I will admit that it might be interesting to do v-clogging because it's something different and maybe it will rub off on me eventually, just as blogging has. In the meantime, I will cherish my lack of fame- heaven knows how stupid and nasty the world can be when you do have a share of the limelight- and just alleviate the bottled-thoughts issue with myself via late-night journaling therapy. I abhor the thought of possibly having people recognise me on the street (or, heaven forbid, in the store during work) as one of those geeky (but uncool) people that post videos of themselves online and other weird stuff.

3 Comments:

At 2:58 AM, Blogger tasik said...

Popular entertainment is weird. One can never wholly predict what will hold the fleeting fancy of the masses. But one ought to be able to give some reasons.

Is it that we feel depersonalized by the brushed-aluminum i-structure of our lives, the sweet efficiency of progress, and somehow need to put a cheesy splash of peanut-buttered idiosyncratic personality smack in the middle of it? "LOOK! it's ME!" - no subtlety whatsoever.

I don't know. And here I go asking questions again.

But cherish your lack of of fame. (while you can)

-T

 
At 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Subtlety: truly an art that not too many people uphold. Though I find some idiosyncrasy a relief, it too needs to be handled with as much delicacy as subtlety.

 
At 7:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*pokey* Update!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home