Thursday, September 07, 2006

Caved-in

I'm kind of disappointed in the self-centered topic of late, only because I can momentarily forget everything else and be self-absorbed with my own problems. Which reminded me of how selfish we all are.

Not news, is it.

It's better to be awake at 1 am thinking about all this, that way the truth will simmer into your grey matter and really give you food for thought, or at least make you marinate in the realisation for a better effect, even if it's been discussed before.

People can get so inebriated with selfishness. They become addicted to it, that when they seem to make the slightest improvement by getting away from self-centered intentions, they have a hard time really getting away from themselves. I welcome days of lowliness, the hours of hopelessness and the harsh light of reality when striking words echo in my ears reminding me of all that I've forgotten or have failed to live up to when it comes to living like Christ. When that happens, my thoughts of irritation for everyday things and the depression of not being able to live my dreams resurfaces and begins to float away. My thoughts on those less fortunate than I make me wish I could do something to give them what I have. I can only do so much. Then I think about my ungratefulness towards God and the suffering He continually goes through , which I witness everytime I step out of my door and into the busy world. Time and time again, I'm reminded of how hard it is to follow in His footsteps.


Slightly aside from the topic: I like blogging in the middle of the night- it's extremely quiet, it's like you've died or you're the only one alive in the world and you're alone with God and your thoughts. I can see why they say that one of the best ways to pray is to just be silent.

J+M+J

2 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Blogger tasik said...

I might add that blogging while you're ill has a similar effect to blogging in the middle of the night.

Anyway, yes. "And I'll never understand / why I'm such a selfish man" - Flogging Molly

Why is selfishness an addiction? Isn't it universally regarded as repulsive? Why do we persist in taking our own problems out of context as if they were the worst things in the world?

I also have opportunity to meditate on this fact as I'm waiting for my @#$$@! car to get fixed. Having had the transmission replaced and my bank account eliminated has made me very uncharitable to everyone, an attitude I seem unable to change. I really feel sorry for my roommate.

But my silly problem doesn't even go as far as threatening my faith, food and shelter....

 
At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It gets really annoying for me to consider I could actually be charitable during moments when I'm not. But why do I choose not to? Because being selfish soothes my ego and it feels "good" in that sick way at the time. Of course later on, I get a hangover: my conscience is shot from allowing myself to wallow in selfishness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home