Boy. Needing prayers.
Job. I've two prospective places of occupation where I can earn actual income.
Firstly, I've already applied to the base credit union. Their hours are great: 9-3, from Tuesdays to Saturdays; Sunday and Monday are off. Perfect. It might still prove to be tight with my current schedule, but it is one of the best schedules I've come across in a job so far. Sundays are days of rest anyway, thank the Lord, and I like to honour that. Plus, the starting pay is around $8/hr. Not bad at all. I can learn a good thing or two about money and there is much room for learning, for progessing and advancing.
The only things I'm worried about with the CU are the dress code and tight responsibility. The former will need some work. I don't have very many decent pieces of clothing in my closet so I'm rather lacking there. I'd need a good wardrobe make-over or go on a good shopping spree to find suitable item to implement into what I already own. The responsibility refers to the handling of money. It's one thing to be a mere cashier at a grocer or something; quite another thing to handle people's own accounts and exercising perfection with withdrawing or depositing exact amounts every, single day. I'm sure I can handle that, as long as I'm very careful, but just the fear of accidentally making a mistake is just a tad bit scary. That's all the worry for the credit union. Oh, and one more thing: they haven't called me yet for an interview yet. They were fully manned earlier, and I don't know if they still are. Will check tomorrow, Tuesday.
Secondly, I've visited the commissary deli and come to find that they are in dire need of hands. Starting pay is around $6/hr, and the schedule is always uncertain. When it is posted and where and how has not been made entirely known to me yet. But when I went there to merely ask about job openings, the supervisor, I assume, said that she'd hire me as soon as I turn in my application. How soon will she call me is undetermined, but I bet it'll be much sooner than the credit union.
Now, working at the deli isn't so bad. It doesn't require too much thinking; the job's quite easy to handle. I don't know how busy they get though. The work attire can be anything you would wear that you wouldn't mind possibly getting a bit dirty in; which would mean, jeans, sneakers, and a decent polo shirt. The pay is only a dollar more than the US minimum wage, and like I said, the schedule is really undefined. I'm trying to save up as much money as I can right now and I'd take the better opportunity if I can, but I'm stuck at a fork in the road.
I even checked into bagging at the commissary. I didn't have too much of a nice time with the head bagger. She didn't make herself clear to me, mentioning that I wouldn't do since I'm around the age that people go off to college. Sure, that's true, but she didn't ask me if I was going to college so soon. Then, there is a big list of people who want to bag. At the moment, she's got a fully manned roster, but she's been eyeing my brother more, as if to give him some leeway and just putting him in there, even though I was on the list first. It might be only fair that he's been bothering her more than I. Also, even if I were to go to college and I had told her that I wouldn't go until next year, she'd have more than enough people to take my place. Perhaps she's just giving my brother a chance...but I still feel some unfairness there. I need a chance to earn a bit more cash too. Bagging at the commissary is very flexible; you come and go when you please. Period. It's a nice second-job to have on the side. Oh well, the other two jobs pay more, but still...[/rant]
So there you have it. Two (formerly, three) jobs in mind that I have a chance of getting. Hopefully, I'll get some sort of confirmation for some decision about the position at the credit union. I'd shoot for that first before the deli job, not so much for the prestige (I already know that I can't be too picky with whatever jobs are out there and available), but for the benefits of what I can get out of it. Lately, my motto seems to have been "take what comes." Hours are the most important to me though because of the fact that I have more than two activities, plus school, enough to keep me busy and more.
So, in conclusion, here is a brief comparison:
| Credit Union Starting pay: $8/hr Days: Tuesdays-Saturday Hours: 0900-1500 Pros: -gain valuable monetary knowledge, -learn a few good skills relevent to many good-paying jobs, -good to start out with and advance in, making a nice note on a resume -the hours are great for my schedule Cons: -needs a very decent wardrobe which I lack, unfortunately, -tight responsibility with handling large sums of money (as much fun as that sounds, it's not :P), -they haven't called me in for hiring yet, and I don't know if they will any time soon | Deli Starting pay: $6/hr Days: Undetermined Hours: TBA Pros: -my wardrobe doesn't need a make-over for it (I exaggerate, okay, but truth rings thorugh nevertheless), -not much thinking involved, work is relatively easy to handle -hiring me is an almost definite thing after I submit my application Cons: -not much skill or knowledge will be gained except for a bit more job experience with foodstuff -hours are terrible |
1 Comments:
Yep, I've checked back at the credit union again, and still, no job openings. They're not sure when they'll have any open again, so I'll have to keep checking. Perhaps I can just work at the deli for now and then if there is an opening, possibly go for it. I sort of dread the hours but I haven't experienced it yet, so we'll see what happens.
Post a Comment
<< Home